Baghdad (IraqiNews.com) ISIS News Today: More than 300 Islamic State militants have been killed in five days of airstrikes on the group’s locations in Anbar province, according to the Interior Ministry’s intelligence service.
According to the intelligence cell, strikes by the Iraqi air forces killed 306 Islamic State members from September 11th to 16th.
The strikes hit targets in Akashat, Qaim, and Annah regions, the statement said.
Earlier on Sunday, Alghad Press quoted a source saying that army troops opened al-Sakra barricade, opening the road to the IS-held town of Annah preparing for a “liberation offensive”.
Islamic State militants have held the towns of Annah, Rawa and Qaim, on Anbar’s western borders with Syria, since 2014, holding thousands of civilians there.
Security reinforcements have reportedly been sent recently near those towns preparing for an attack against the group.
On Saturday, Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi issued a statement congratulating the nation for the recapture of Akashat region, west of Anbar, in a “snap operation” which he said left hundreds of militants dead.
Since the Iraqi government has launched operations in October 2016 to retake IS-held cities, the troops, backed by a U.S.-led coalition and paramilitary troops have managed so far to recapture Mosul, Islamic State’s former capital, and the town of Tal Afar, west of Mosul.
Note: The post (ISIS news: More than 300 militants killed in Anbar in 5 days) appeared first on (Iraq News Today) and do not necessarily reflect the position of IraqNow.news.
You can read the original text from the source (Iraq News Today).