Arabic | Kurdish



Kuwait joins Iraq reconstruction drive, pledging $2 billion

2018/02/14 | 17:10

(Iraq Now News)- Kuwait’s Emir said his country would lend $1 billion and commit a further $1 billion of investments to Iraq, joining a group of international backers that have this week pledged funds to bolster the country’s recovery, Reuters reported on Wednesday.Donors and investors have gathered in Kuwait to discuss efforts to rebuild Iraq’s economy and infrastructure as it emerges from a devastating conflict with ISIS militants who seized almost a third of the country.“Kuwait will earmark $1 billion in loans to Iraq and will commit to another $1 billion as investments,” Emir Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah told an international conference on Wednesday.Minutes later, the European Union’s foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini said the bloc would invest 400 million euros, in addition to individual contributions from member states.The United States said on Tuesday it was extending a $3 billion credit line but has not provided any direct government assistance.

International NGOs have so far pledged $330 million in humanitarian assistance.Those sums are dwarfed by the more than $88 billion that Iraqi officials have said it will cost to rebuild the country after three years of war, with housing a particular priority.

Note: The post (Kuwait joins Iraq reconstruction drive, pledging $2 billion) appeared first on (Baghdad Post) and do not necessarily reflect the position of IraqNow.news.
You can read the original text from the source (Baghdad Post).










Trending Now


⋙ Volunteers leave food for wild animals in snowy Kurdistan mountains

⋙ Iraq partakes preparing for Lebanon's Development Summit: min.

⋙ TopDevelopers.co announces the Top 50 Ecommerce development agencies to rely on for the year 2019

⋙ Hakim urges Arab countries to commit to Iraq's Reconstruction bids

⋙ Former US envoy in fight against Islamic State says Trump giving group ‘new life‘

Videos - Photos

⋙ Witnesses recall Manbij suicide blast which killed 4 US soldiers (video)

⋙ Pence declares victory over IS hours after US troops killed in Syria (video)

⋙ Britain to jail people for taking photos up women's skirts


ISIS News

⋙ Witnesses recall Manbij suicide blast which killed 4 US soldiers (video)

⋙ Pence declares victory over IS hours after US troops killed in Syria (video)

⋙ Iraqi forces shell ISIS hotspots in Syrian territories

⋙ Key ISIS security element arrested in Iraq's Anbar province

⋙ U.S. names three killed in Syria blast claimed by ISIS

⋙ Villagers around Iraq’s Khanaqin, Jalawla evacuate as ISIS attacks increase

⋙ Iraqi forces launch heavy attack on ISIS terrorists in eastern Syria